Looking to partner with or interview Sam Soper? Reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Artist
Sam Soper is an Austin-based muralist and illustrator, specializing in colorful, highly-detailed, pop-surrealist portraits, characters, and concept art. Her mission focuses on joy and representation, striving to make each piece an educational experience by highlighting real subjects and the ethereal beauty of the natural world. She also founded Creative Cuties ATX, an intersectional group for creatives interested in building local community by encouraging self-expression, connecting with others across various disciplines, and celebrating all members’ achievements.
Long Bio — Artist Statement
Sam Soper is an Austin-based mural artist and illustrator specializing in colorful, highly-detailed, pop-surrealist portraits, characters, and concept art. Joy and universal representation are the main drives behind her work. She makes each piece an educational experience by highlighting real subjects, cultural archetypes, and the beauty of the natural world, enabling the viewer to see themselves or their environments reflected.
Originally born in New Orleans, the city’s vibrant culture and street art influenced her drive to create and her interest in esoteric symbolism from a young age. She’s been painting murals since 2019 with large-scale works at Ani’s Day & Night, El Tacorrido, Sunshine House Blanco, and more. She’s had aerosol works commissioned by Tito’s Vodka, Dulce Vida Tequila, and various private collectors. Her artistic strengths lie in capturing accurate human and animal portraiture, florals and greenery, space and skies, detailed environments, and crystal growth. Additionally, she excels at hand-lettering work, as well as fun and friendly character concepts and trompe l’oeil scenes.
Since 2009, she’s had work published in 7 compilations, has been featured in the press 14 times, and has shown in group exhibitions in Austin, Dallas, New York, Los Angeles, St. Louis, and San Salvador. Additionally, she’s founder of Creative Cuties ATX, an intersectional group for creatives interested in building local community by encouraging self-expression, connecting with others across various disciplines, and celebrating all members’ achievements.
Media and TV
- Great Day SA on KENS5 San Antonio (Sep 2023)
- Great Day SA on KENS5 San Antonio Pt. 1 | Pt. 2 (Aug 2023)
- The Austin Chronicle: Best of 2023 Finalist
- D Magazine
- Canvas Rebel
- Shoutout Atlanta
- Redfin Real Estate Blog
- The Austin Chronicle (2021)
- Dear Diary Coffeehouse Blog
- OpenArt Studios Blog
- Voyage Austin
- The Austin Chronicle (2021)
- The Austin American Statesman
- The Austin Chronicle (2020)
- HostGator Blog
- The Austinot
- We Are Austin on CBS Austin
- Bodies of Work Vol. III
- Almost Real Things (2022)
- Almost Real Things (2020)
- Brooklyn Art Library
- Almost Real Things (2019)
- Starman – Fans Say Goodbye to David Bowie
- Presidential Losers
- Representation in art
- Mental health (neurodivergence, ADHD, bipolar disorder, anxiety)
- Small business ownership and networking
- User experience and creative process
- Community building
- Believing in yourself
- Overcoming fear and imposter syndrome
- Importance of always learning
- Cultivating joy